BUY UGANDA BUILD UGANDA EXPO 2019
The official Buy Uganda Build Uganda Expo 2019 logo was launched at Kololo by Yoweri Kaguta Museveni. This is the official logo which must be used on all Ugandan made products worldwide. The expo went until 9th March, 2019 at Kololo Independence Grounds , it aimed at promoting local investments and products.
STATEMENT ON THE BUY UGANDA BUILD UGANDA EXPO 2019
The Buy Uganda Build Uganda (BUBU) Policy was formulated by Government through the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives and approved by Cabinet in 2015 and later launched by the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister in 2017.
The two years old policy is premised on PPDA Act 2014 under which amendments are being made to provide for reservation scheme regulations to give force of law to the policy among others. Policy objectives;
- To promote consumption of local goods & services.
- To promote conformity to standards of goods and services.
- To provide capacity building to local suppliers of goods and services.
Achievements so far;
- Improved capacity of local producers and service providers in sectors like; iron and steel, cement, textile, leather among others.
- Improved quality and standards of local products. For instance, in the last 2 years, UNBS has supported 904 SMEs in product certification processes and SMEs are now accessing markets locally and in the region.
- Increased shelf space of local products in supermarkets which now stands at 40%. This is a result of increased capacity and improved standards.
- Support to local agro-processing, furniture, metal works, medical supplies/Pharmaceutical products, civil works, energy supplies, oil and gas, among others. Other Services with improved Capacity and standards include; Tourism, Entertainment Industry and Education services.
Some of the Other Achievements
- Role of District Commercial Officers
- Formalization of businesses through URSB
- Establishment of the MSME Directorate
Way forward in BUBU Implementation
- Ensure hygiene
- Improve on the premises
- Improve packaging
- Comply with the required standards
- Formalization of businesses
The BUBU Expo 2019
The Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives together with other partners organized the inaugural Buy Uganda Build Uganda (BUBU) Expo 2019, as one of the initiatives aimed at creating more awareness about the BUBU policy.
It took place at Kololo Independence Grounds from Thursday 7th to Saturday 9th March 2019 under the theme: “Showcasing Uganda’s potential”
The 3 day event featured the following;
- an Exhibition for local products (goods and services),
- a National Women Entrepreneurs’ Conference;
- an awards dinner to recognize the BUBU compliant government institutions, local producers and service providers with quality products and competent local service suppliers;
We were targeting over 300 MSMEs as exhibitors and over 140,000 show-goers during the 3 days. I urged all Fellow Ugandans to turn up in big numbers at Kololo Independence Grounds to appreciate the potential we have in Uganda.
In conclusion, BUBU is the highest level of Patriotism that we must all embrace as citizens, investors and stakeholders in the Ugandan economy and it will enable us attract more investment and reduce on our import bill. It will also help us strengthen our national capacity to undertake major national infrastructural projects with appreciable national content.
Let me take this opportunity to thank all our partners who have contributed generously towards this cause. Allow me to mention some of them; Pearl Dairies (Lato milk), Roofings Group, Atiak Sugar, Southern Range Nyanza Ltd, Riham Group, Alam Group, Vivo Energy, Plascon Ltd, Nile Agro, Premier Distillers, Steel and Tube and others.
I also thank the Government MDAs that worked closely with us to ensure a successful BUBU expo, and the companies that offered to provide probono/CSR activities during the Expo